September 13, 2010

Weekend In Reviews

Nikita – Remember last season when I watched The Vampire Diaries because the critics gave it a whole lot of love that I didn’t anticipate and didn’t expect to agree with? Ditto Nikita. I really thought I wasn’t going to like this one despite the good press it had gotten. But this one really scratches that Alias itch. It’s slick and kick-ass and well plotted and stocked full of fun actors. I’m in for a season pass on this one. And I can’t wait to see exactly what is up with Michael, Alex, Tom, Nikita, and Amanda. Though I'm going to tell you right now, it stretches the level of believability that Nikita would be able to kick anyone's ass considering she's paper thin. 



Terriers - I see why this got such good reviews, it’s well acted, tightly written and interesting. It reminds me a bit of Justified in how its heroes are imperfect but very entertaining people. I’ve always enjoyed Donal Logue because he’s a good actor who happens to have terrific comic timing which, for me, makes him much more fun to watch than a comedic person who can’t really act. Anyway, I like the show a lot and that makes it all that much more disappointing that the ratings were so dismal. I hope they improve and that FX sticks with it for a while to give an audience a chance to find it. It’s certainly worth it.


Group Sex – A “romantic” comedy about sex addiction. God, I really expected better of Greg Grunberg and Lawrence Trilling. Oh, but you know who was funny in the movie? Rob Benedict. He was a hoot. Everything else is better forgotten. And never rented. Trust me.


Stick It – How could I have missed this when it first came out? This movie is so totally up my alley! The plot is so thin it almost doesn’t exist at all. The entire thing is an excuse to show fun gymnastics stuff and girls in leotards. But none of that matters because I simply adored its ridiculousness and am forever in love with the ine “this is my heterosexual life-mate, Frank.” I’m not ashamed to tell you I loved it but I am a little ashamed to admit that I got all teared up at the end when all the girls picked for themselves who’d win each event and everyone else scratched. I’m acutely susceptible to sappy, cheesy, sports-related tear-jerking. That ending played me like a fiddle.

No comments: