August 6, 2009

RIP

If any of your formative years took place in the '80s then you no doubt harbour an affection for a John Hughes movie. A generation of people grew up on his coming-of-age comedies about jocks, losers, outcasts, rich kids, poor kids, nerds, dorks, princesses and popular kids.

My favorite movie of all time is Sixteen Candles. I will never grow tired of Samantha Baker, Jake Ryan (the dreamiest movie character in history), Farmer Ted and Long Duk Dong. I will always mist up when Sam thanks Jake for getting her undies back and they kiss over her cake at the end.

Likewise, I know Brenda still deeply loves Pretty In Pink. On my road trip to California with Megan last month, Otis Redding's "Try a Little Tenderness" came on the iPod and I couldn't help but picture Ducky lip syncing awesomely through Tracks.

The Breakfast Club, Some Kind of Wonderful, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Uncle Buck ("Buck Melanoma. Moley Russell's wart."), Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Christmas Vacation ("Merry Christmas! Shitter was full!"), Home Alone....

If you can't find a John Hughes movie to love, you're cold and dead inside.

John Hughes died today at the age of 59. He will be missed.

2 comments:

Brenda B said...

So sad... He kept the brat pack employed for many years. And I Do love pretty in pink but Some kind of wonderful is right up there with it and I've seen the breakfast club and sixteen candles just as many times. I feel a movie marathon coming on. :). I've also seen the home alone movies a thousand time thanks to my son. One and two are the best! I didn't know John did those.

Melissa said...

His IMDb page is like a childhood flashback for me. I remember the first time I saw most of his movies and so many of them are so great.

I just found out this morning he wrote Mr. Mom...another of my faves.