December 8, 2008

Weekend In Reviews

You've probably noticed it's been a while since I did a Weekend in Reviews post, that's because it's been a while since I watched any movies or anything else reviewable over the weekend. The closer we get to the holidays, the more of my weekend I have to spend doing holiday stuff and not watching movies.


Anyway, I'm back. I caught up on a lot of TiVo this weekend - several episodes of House, Chuck, Samantha Who? and an episode each of Privileged, Psych, and One Tree Hill (which I think I'm going to have to post on separately later). None of these need reviews...they happened, they were mostly enjoyable (though I'm really sort of over House lately), nothing specific to say.


But I do have one thing to review...


The Anasazi Foundation's 20th Anniversary Fundraiser Concert featuring The Gin Blossoms: whew! That's a mouthful! So I went to that over the weekend and had a lot of fun. There were 4 "opening acts" - Firefly (decent musicians though the lead singer was kind of nasal but overall enjoyable to listen to), Benton Paul (fantastic musician, good entertainer, really enjoyable music, I'm setting out to find some downloadable music by this kid right away. He's totally Seth Cohen-y in the best possible way), Joshua James (he makes Elliott Smith seem like a day at Disneyland, he's that depressing. He sang 8 songs, every single one of which was about death - In My Time Of Dying, My Friend's Dad Died, Wreck This Train and Kill Us All, Blood Stain On the Wall, Teen Suicide, Blue Christmas (because you're dead - it was implied!)...it went on and on and on, and it was awful), and Jesca Hoop (super nasal and quiet so you couldn't really understand a single word she said, she's very "ethereal" and boring and all of her songs sounded exactly the same, I wasn't impressed).


The Gin Blossoms sounded great but they look old. Like, really, really old. Jesse's face wasn't showing his age so bad but he dressed like a middle-aged guy (dark grey dress pants, white cotton dress shirt, tucked in with a belt and black dress shoes), the drummer was on the hefty side and balding pretty good, Lead Guitarist has the hair and wardrobe of someone who thinks it's still 1990, Bill the Bassist has hardly any hair left, he's not aging at all well facially and he came out on stage with his reading glasses tucked into the collar of his T-Shirt. Robin looks pretty good, though he's way too skinny and his hair is deserting him in a number of locations. But no matter how the looked, they really did sound terrific and it was fun to see them and remember back to high school.


Also, I met Brooke White at the concert (she and her husband were sitting in the row behind us) and she's sweet and lovely and it was genuinely a thrill to meet her. As you can see from my excessively large smile:




Thanks for the great Christmas gift Kelly!

No comments: